Moses Murphree, son of Daniel and Sarah Murphree, was born about 1758, most likely in Bertie County, North Carolina, where his parents lived at the time. He later lived in Orange and Chatham Counties, North Carolina. After the Revolutionary War, he moved to South Carolina and bought land there as early as 1787, possibly 1786. An undocumented source indicates that his wife was Lucinda ____, born 1770-1780. His will was made 20 May 1843 in Pickens County, SC, and was proved 8 May 1846, but his wife was not named in the will.
The children of Moses Murphree were:
1. Joseph Murphree, b. about 1790, Pickens Co., SC, did not marry.
2. Elizabeth Murphree, b. about 1792 (was 57 in 1850), Pickens Co., SC, md Jesse Suggs (70-80 in 1840, d. by 1850 census)
Children: Elias Suggs, b. 1829; Elijah Suggs, b. 1831; and Dorcos Suggs, b. 1836.
3. William Murphree, b. abt 1794 Pickens Co., SC wd 31 Jul 1846, wp 10 Aug l846 Pickens Co., SC2. He rnd. Mary ("Polly") Baker? (d. 9 Mar 189]).
Children of William and Polly Murphree: James Nimmons (or M. [Madison?]) Murphree, b. 5 Aug 1816, Twelve Mile River, Pickens Co., SC, d. 9 Sep 1878 Pickens Co., SC, md. Mira Baker (b. 30 Dec 1805, d. 28 Apr 1904 bur. Baker Cem., Pickens Co., SC); Sarah Murphree, md. _____Stewart; Moses Murphree; John S. Murphree; Elizabeth Murphree; Benjamin R. Murphree, b. ca. 1833; Tabos Murphree; Rebeckah Murphree; and one other child.
William Murphree's widow Polly md. (2) Thomas S. Alexander (d. 1856).
4. Rebecca Murphree, b. abt 1796 (54 in 1850) Pickens Co. SC, md. William B. Nix (b. 1790).
Children: Clarinda Nix, b. 1828; Dinah Nix, b. 1830; Amy J. Nix b. 1833; William G. Nix, b. 1837; and Thomas L Nix, b. 1840.
5. Isaac Murphree, b. abt 1798 (62 in 1860) Pickens Co. SC md. (1) _________? They had at least one child: Caleb Murphree b. 1817 (33-1850) SC, md. Elizabeth Alexander, and d. in Civil War.
There may have been a 2nd marriage to Grace Rice? (d. 1842).
Children: Lucy A. Murphree, b. 1832 (18-1850) SC; Susannah Adaline Murphree, b. 1834 (16-1850) SC, md. (1) Thomas Jefferson Ellenburg, md. (2) Francis Marion Ellenburg; William R. Murphree, b. 1838 (12 in 1850) SC; and John M. Murphree, b. 1842 (8 in 1850) SC.
In 1860, a younger wife, Permetha, 35, and what appears to be several step-children are in the Isaac Murphy' household in Pickens Co.
6. (Daughter) Murphree, b. 1800-1810, Pickens Co., SC, md. James Chandler. Both 30-40 in 1840 census, Pickens Co., SC.
7. Annedine (or Amandine?) Murphree b. 1810-1820, Pickens County, SC., md. Herrin (Herron, Haron) Patterson. They have one daughter under 5 in the 1840 census, Pickens Co., SC.
8. (Daughter) Murphree, md. A. (or B.?) G. Chandler
9. (Daughter) Murphree md. William Meers.
10.(Daughter) Murphree, md. William Stephens.