Solomon Murphree, son of Daniel and Sarah Murphree, was born in 1757, most likely in Bertie County, North Carolina, where his parents lived at the time. He later lived in Orange and Chatham Counties, North Carolina; in Pendleton District, South Carolina; and in Blount County, Alabama. He married Sarah Ward about 1779.
He served as a private in the Continental Line during the Revolutionary War after which he possibly bought and sold land in Washington County, Tennessee.
Solomon moved from Pendleton District, SC, to Blount County, Alabama. Murphree's Valley in Blount County is named for him. There he organized the Mt. Moriah Primitive Baptist Church. His last years seem to have been in Benton (now Calhoun) County, Alabama. After his wife Sarah Ward Murphree died, he married (2) Mrs. Mary Elizabeth ("Polly") Prator (Praytor) whose birth surname is only partially known: Chan--(Chandler?) or Cham--(Champion?). She was born in 1780-1790 and died before the 1850 census was taken.
Solomon Murphree died in Benton (now Calhoun) County in 1854 and is buried in the Eulation Methodist Church Cemetery near Anniston in present-day Calhoun County.
The children of Soloman and Sarah Murphree were:
1. Rebecca Murphree b. 22 Dec 1779 NC, d. 22 Sep 1843, md. Asa Bynum (b. 1780 Chatham Co. NC, d. 6 May 1833 Oneonta, Blount Co., AL, son of Isaac Bynum).
Children: James Bynum, b. 1803 md. Miss Box; Solomon Bynum b. 1807, md. Susan Praytor; Isaac Bynum, b. 1808, md. Nancy Murphree; William ("Buck") Bynum b. 1809, d. 1850; Edith Bynum, b. 1811, md. Joshua Morton; Elijah Bynum, b. ca. 1813 md. Elizabeth Martin; Sarah ("Sally") Bynum b. 15 May 1815, md. Hazael (Hayes) Holley; Daniel Bynum b. 1817, md, Elizabeth Murphree; Jesse Bynum b. 1820 md, Eliza Cloudus; Asa Bynum, b. 1822, md. Elizabeth Bynum; and Rebecca Bynum, b. 16 Apr 1823, md. Tapley Stephens.
2. Daniel Murphree, b. 9 Oct 1781 TN d.3 (or 4?) Mar 1851 Blount Co. AL, will proved 14 Apr 1851 Blount Co., AL md. 16 Sep 1802 Pheraby Bynum (d. 1 Apr 1873).
Children: Solomon Murphree, b. 28 Aug 1805; Jesse Murphree b. 1806' James Murphree, b. 28 May 1808; Barzillia Murphree b. 13 Apr 1811; Caleb Murphree, b. 16 Dee 1812; Patsy Murphree, b. 9 Apr 1815; Levi Murphree, b. 12 Aug 1817; and William B. Murphree, b. 6 Dec 1820.
The Murphree Cabin was built by Daniel Murphree six miles north of Oneonta in Murphree's Valley and was presented to the Blount County Historical Society in January 1973 by John Roderick Sanders, then owner of the land on which it was built. The cabin was dismantled and moved to Palisades Park where it was reassembled and restored as a Pioneer Cabin, a part of Blount County's Heritage.
Daniel Murphree was the son of Solomon Murphree for whom Murphree's Valley is named. Daniel Murphree, born October 9, 1781 married Pheraby Bynum, September 16, 1802 died March 4, 1851. Daniel came to Blount County in 1817. He built this cabin in 1820. After Pheraby's death in 1873 it was sold to Asa R. Murphree. Asa sold it to Davis Hyatt in 1879. David gave it to his son James B. Hyatt for a wedding gift the same year. James died in 1890. His widow, Rebecca, died in 1894. Their daughter, Docia, a great grand daughter of Daniel Murphree sold the property to John R. Sanders in 1966. Mr. Sanders donated the cabin to the Blount County Historical Society in 1972. It was moved from Murphree's Valley to Palisades Park in 1973.
3. Mary Murphree b. 12 Oct 1783 TN, md. Benjamin Easley (d. 13 May 1852 Calhoun Co., AL) and d. 16 Jul 1857 Blount Co., AL
Children (at least): Benjamin Easley; Warham Easley, b. 9 Oct 1822, d. 6 Dec 1852 Calhoun Co., AL.
4. Edith (Eady, Edie) Murphree, b. 8 Feb 1786 C, md. Daniel Stephen (Stevens).
Children (at least): Keziah Stephens b. ca. 1812 TN md. John Bynum; Jeremiah Stephens, b. 1825 AL.
5. Rhoda Murphree b. 17 Jan 1788 Pendleton Dist., SC d. after 1874 Ellis Co., TX, bur. Mountain Peak Cem., Ellis Co. md. John Bynum (b. 1784 NC, d. 1868 Blount Co., AL).
Children: Asa Bynum b. 10 Oct 1806 md. Cinda Ella Murphree; Tapley Bynum, b. 7 May 1809 md. Eliza Cornelius; Louvisa Bynum b. 1811 md. Samuel T. Reneau; Daniel Bynum, b. 18J3, md. Mahala Cornelius; James Bynum, b. 30 Sep 1816, md. Catherine Prather; William M. Bynum b. 31 Aug 1818; Nancy Bynum, b. 1824 md. William Morton; Mary Sarena Bynum, b. 1828 md. Thomas L. Murphree; and Cynthia Keziah Bynum b. Sep 1832 md. John Wesley Farley. Some of this family moved to Ellis Co., TX.
6. Miriam Kessiah Murphree, b. 21 May 1789 Pendleton Dist, SC md. Warham Easley and d. 10 Mar 1831.
Children (at least): Solomon Easley; Benjamin Easley; Sarah ("Sally") Easley, b. 1813, md. Elijah Murphree; Kessiah Easley, md. __ Ratliffl; Hannah Serena Easley b. 1823, md. Jesse Bynum; Mary ("Polly") Easley, md. Joel Adams Cornelius.
7. Hannah Murphree b. 25 Aug 1791 Pendleton Dist., SC, md. (Rev) Jesse Ellis (M.E. minister b. 20 Sep 1790 d. 29 Apr 1866), and d. 21 Feb 1852 Wetumpka, Elmore Co., AL.
Children: Reuben Ellis, b. 20 Sep 1812, md. Matilda Faust; Elizabeth Ellis, b. 4 June 1815, md. James Tunnell; Nancy Ellis, b. 15 July 1817, md. Elisha Tunnell; Marium Ellis b. 1819; George C. Ellis b. 1822; John Wesley Ellis, b. 23 Dee 1823, md. Catherine Garrison; Daniel G. W. Ellis, b. 10 Jan 1826 md. Virilla E. Woodruff; Jeremiah Ellis, b. 1827; Sarah Jane Ellis b. 1829, md. John F. Scoggins; Jesse Benson Ellis b. 1830, md. Perlina Woodruff; Hannah M. Ellis b. 1832; and Stephen S. Ellis, b. 1837, md. Sarah C. Davis.
8. Elizabeth Murphree, b. 7 May 1793 Pendleton Dist. SC, did not marry and d. before 1854.
9. Sarah Murphree b. 17 May 1796 Pendleton Dist., SC, md. (I )William Faust (b. 27 Ju11821) md. (2) Thomas Mackey, and d. after 1857 TX.
10. Kiziah(Keziah) Mary Murphree, b. abt 1797 Pendleton Dist., SC (TN?), d. before 13 Jul 1841, md. 9 Dec 1820 Blount Co. AL, (as his first wife) Cummings Hallmark (b. 1793 TN, d. 1888 Howelton, Etowah Co., AL, son of George William Hallmark and Leannah Mynatt).
Children: James Murphree Hallmark, b. 14 Oct 1821, md. (1) Sarah Morton, md. (2) Dicy Bynum; Nancy Serena Hallmark, b. ca. 1823, md. John Morton; Richard Morton Hallmark, b. ca. 1825; Lodeanna Paralee Hallmark, b. ca. 1828, md. Joel W. Hendricks: Mary Ann Hallmark, b. 10 Jan 1830; md. Drury Morton; Sarah Selena Hallmark, b. ca. 1832, md. Isaac M. Nesmith; and Eunice Marilda Hallmark, b. ea. 1835, md. Henry S. Armstrong.
1l. Nancy Murphree, b. abt 1799 Pendleton Dist., SC, md. 27 Jul 1821 Blount Co., AL, Benjamin Ellis (b. abt 1800, d. 10 June 1869 Blount Co., AL).
Children: Daniel Ellis b. 13 Jan 1822 md. Susan E. Bowdon; Dicie Ellis, b. abt 1823, md. Isaac Glover' Solomon Ellis b. 24 Apr 1824, md. Matilda Jane Drenen; Jeremiah Ellis, b. 1825, md. Varvela Hopper; Phoebe Ellis, b. 22 Feb 1828; Martin A,. Ellis, b. 1830, md. Amelia ("Amy") Hopper' Elizabeth Ellis, b. abt 1832; and Jesse C. Ellis, b. 17 Feb 1836, md, Frances Angelina Tennie
The children of Solomon and Polly Murphree were:
1. Solomon L. Murphree, b. 23 Feb 1823 Blount Co., AL, d. 19 Oct 1893 TX bur. Zephyr Cern. Brown Co. TX, md, 19 Jan 1854 Martha Deavers (b. 20 July 1834 AL, d. 26 Aug 1911 TX, dau. of Wilson B. and Mary Deavers. He was in Comanche Co., TX, in 1880 census.
Children: Solomon W. Murphree, b. 1855; George W. Murphree, b. 18 Nov 1860; Finis Ewin Murphree b. 1864, md. Nancy Jane Cornelius; John A. Murphree, b. 25 Sep 1866; Walter H. Murphree, b. 30 Mar 1871, md. Susan. V. Parsons; and Mary E. Murphree, b. 1874.
2. Dicy Murphree,b. abt 1826 Blount Co., AL, did not marry, and d. 1838.
3. Anne ("Annie") Murphree, b. abt 1828 (32 in 1860 Calhoun Co. census) Blount Co., AL. md. 18 Jan 1844 Calhoun Co., AL W. B. Burden.
4. Emily Murphree,b. abt 1830 (20 in 1850 Calhoun Co. census) Blount Co. AL, md, 26 June 1850 Calhoun Co., AL, James N. Heaton (b. 1830 [30-1860 Calhoun Co., AL). Children: Louis Levi Heaton, b. 1852, md. Georgie Ann Rose; Mary Ann Elizabeth Heaton, b. 8 Apr 1854, md. George Hughes Garriet: Harris Heaton, b. 1857; James Callaway Heaton, b. 1859; and Joseph Heaton b. 1869.